Universidad de Jaén

Menú local

Syllabus 2019-20 - 10312014 - Organic Chemistry Lab (Laboratorio de química orgánica)

Caption
  • Level 1: Tutorial support sessions, materials and exams in this language
  • Level 2: Tutorial support sessions, materials, exams and seminars in this language
  • Level 3: Tutorial support sessions, materials, exams, seminars and regular lectures in this language
DEGREE: Grado en Químicas
FACULTY: FACULTY OF EXPERIMENTAL SCIENCES

ACADEMIC YEAR: 2019-20
SYLLABUS
1. COURSE BASIC INFORMATION
NAME: Organic Chemistry Lab
CODE: 10312014 ACADEMIC YEAR: 2019-20
LANGUAGE: English LEVEL: 2
ECTS CREDITS: 6.0 YEAR: 2 SEMESTER: SC
 
2. LECTURER BASIC INFORMATION
NAME: ALTAREJOS CABALLERO, JOAQUÍN
DEPARTMENT: U128 - QUÍMICA INORGÁNICA Y ORGÁNICA
FIELD OF STUDY: 765 - QUÍMICA ORGÁNICA
OFFICE NO.: B3 - 444 E-MAIL: jaltare@ujaen.es P: 953212743
WEBSITE: http://www4.ujaen.es/~jaltare/
LANGUAGE: English LEVEL: 2
 
3. CONTENT DESCRIPTION

Experiments to perform: 1. Synthesis of n-butyl bromide. 2. Synthesis of fluorenone. 3. Synthesis of diphenylmethanol. 4. Synthesis of ethyl acetate. 5. Synthesis of cinnamic acid. 6. Chemistry of polymers. 7. Resolution of alpha-phenylethylamine. 8. Column chromatography.

4. COURSE DESCRIPTION AND TEACHING METHODOLOGY

Students have (i) to attend the laboratory classes and perform the experiments planned by the Lecturer; (ii) to prepare a written report on the work developed in the course; (iii) to solve a set of exercises proposed by the Lecturer on the reactivity of functional groups or other alternative tasks; (iv) to pass a test on the theoretical-experimental concepts learnt in the course.

Students with special educational needs should contact the Student Attention Service (Servicio de Atención y Ayudas al Estudiante) in order to receive the appropriate academic support

5. ASSESSMENT METHODOLOGY

Ordinary examination session:

(i) Attendance at laboratory classes (mandatory) and good performance of experiments: 10%. (ii) Evaluation of the written report on the work developed in the course: 15%. (iii) Implement of a proposed academic activity: 15%. (iv) Performance of a new experiment proposed by the Lecturer using a short recipe; evaluation of the corresponding written report: 60%.

Extraordinary examination session:

Students will be allowed to choose for the extraordinary exam one of the following options:

(A) Students must perform a new experiment proposed by the Lecturer using a short recipe, and present the corresponding written report. It will represent the 60% of the final mark. The remaining 40% comes from the previously evaluated sections i-iii.

(B) Students must perform a new experiment proposed by the Lecturer using a short recipe, and present the corresponding written report. It will represent the 100% of the final mark.

In this way it will be guaranteed the highest grade in this extraordinary and successive examination sessions.

In all cases students have to previously attend to all laboratory classes in order to have access to this extraordinary test.

6. BOOKLIST
MAIN BOOKLIST:
  • Introduction to organic laboratory techniques: a microscale approach. Edition: 4th ed. Author: -. Publisher: Forth Worth [etc.] : Saunders College Publishing, cop. 2007  (Library)
  • Macroscale and microscale: organic experiments. Edition: 4th ed. Author: Williamson, Kenneth L.. Publisher: Boston ; New York: Houghton Mifflin, cop. 2003  (Library)
  • Experimental Organic Chemistry: a miniscale and microscale approach. Edition: 4th ed. Author: Gilbert, John C.. Publisher: Belmont : Thomson, cop. 2006  (Library)
  • Microscale operational organic chemistry: a problem-solving approach to the laboratory course. Edition: -. Author: Lehman, John W.. Publisher: Upper Saddle River: Pearson Prentice Hall, c2004.  (Library)
ADDITIONAL BOOKLIST:
  • CRC handbook of chemistry and physics: a ready-reference book of chemical and physical data. Edition: 90th ed.. Author: -. Publisher: Boca Raton : CRC Press, 2009.  (Library)
  • Modern organic synthesis in the laboratory [Recurso electrónico] : a collection of standard experime. Edition: -. Author: Li, Jie Jack. Publisher: New York : Oxford University Press, 2007  (Library)
  • Experimental organic chemistry. Edition: -. Author: Palleros, Daniel R.. Publisher: New York [etc.]: John Wiley & Sons, cop. 2000  (Library)