Universidad de Jaén

Menú local

Syllabus 2018-19 - 14012007 - Metallic Structures (Estructuras metálicas)

Caption
  • Level 1: Tutorial support sessions, materials and exams in this language
  • Level 2: Tutorial support sessions, materials, exams and seminars in this language
  • Level 3: Tutorial support sessions, materials, exams, seminars and regular lectures in this language
DEGREE: Grado en Ingeniería civil (14012007)
FACULTY: SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING OF LINARES

DEGREE: Doble grado en Ingeniería de tecnologías mineras e Ingenieria civil (15012008)
FACULTY: SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING OF LINARES

ACADEMIC YEAR: 2018-19
SYLLABUS
1. COURSE BASIC INFORMATION
NAME: Metallic Structures
CODE: 14012007 (*) ACADEMIC YEAR: 2018-19
LANGUAGE: English LEVEL: 2
ECTS CREDITS: 6.0 YEAR: 4 SEMESTER: PC
 
2. LECTURER BASIC INFORMATION
NAME: FERNÁNDEZ ACEITUNO, JAVIER
DEPARTMENT: U121 - INGENIERÍA MECÁNICA Y MINERA
FIELD OF STUDY: 605 - MECÁNICA DE MEDIOS CONTINUOS Y TEORÍA DE ESTRUCTUR
OFFICE NO.: D - D44 E-MAIL: jaceitun@ujaen.es P: 953648619
WEBSITE: https://www.uja.es/departamentos/ingmec/contactos/fernandez-aceituno-javier
LANGUAGE: - LEVEL: 2
 
3. CONTENT DESCRIPTION

PART A: Standard Regulations at Civil Engineering. Types of structures

PART B: Materials mechanical properties. Basics concepts of strenght materials applied to metallic structures. Theory of Ultimate Limit States.

PART C: Structural calculus: (tensile, compression, bending, shear and mixed stresses).

PART D: Connecting elements. Classification. Bolted joints. Welded joints. 

PART E: Composite steel and concrete structures. Introduction

PART F: Maintenance and sustainability. 

4. COURSE DESCRIPTION AND TEACHING METHODOLOGY

During the lectures, the different sections included in the course's syllabus will be developed. Student participation may take place at any time and doubts will be solved at the time. During lectures the problems of the course included in the collections of problems will be solved in a participatory way and discussion of results and resolution methods will be exposed. Practices will be held in the laboratory of the area of mechanics of continuous media and theory of structures and/or computer room. Lab session will be divided in two parts: first, there will be a theoretical introduction along with some exhibition, where the teacher will explain the tasks to be performed using lab equipment; then, student must work on their own and collect data to ellaborate a final report, to be submitted after a few days.

Students with special educational needs should contact the Student Attention Service (Servicio de Atención y Ayudas al Estudiante) in order to receive the appropriate academic support

Students with special educational needs should contact the Student Attention Service (Servicio de Atención y Ayudas al Estudiante) in order to receive the appropriate academic support

5. ASSESSMENT METHODOLOGY

S1. Attendance to Lab Sessions (5%)

S2. Theoretical and Operational contents (90%)

  • At the final exam, the score of theoretical contents of course must be greater than 3 points out of 10 in order to sum the score with the operational contents. 
  • In particular, the theoretical contents' weigth in the final exam is 30%, while the remaining 70% concerns operational exercices (problems) 

S3. Clarity and fulfillment of laboraty reports and proposed exercises. 

6. BOOKLIST
MAIN BOOKLIST:
  • Design of joints in steel and composite structures : Eurocode 3, design of steel structures, part 1-. Edition: -. Author: Jaspart, Jean-Pierre. Publisher: Men Martins: ECCS, 2016  (Library)
  • Eurocode 3. Design of steel structures. Fatigue. Edition: -. Author: -. Publisher: CEN  (Library)