Universidad de Jaén

Menú local

Syllabus 2018-19 - 10213013 - Ecosystem Assessment and Environmental Consultancy (Evaluación de ecosistemas y asesoría ambiental)

Caption
  • Level 1: Tutorial support sessions, materials and exams in this language
  • Level 2: Tutorial support sessions, materials, exams and seminars in this language
  • Level 3: Tutorial support sessions, materials, exams, seminars and regular lectures in this language
DEGREE: Grado en Biología
FACULTY: FACULTY OF EXPERIMENTAL SCIENCES

ACADEMIC YEAR: 2018-19
SYLLABUS
1. COURSE BASIC INFORMATION
NAME: Ecosystem Assessment and Environmental Consultancy
CODE: 10213013 ACADEMIC YEAR: 2018-19
LANGUAGE: English LEVEL: 3
ECTS CREDITS: 6.0 YEAR: 4 SEMESTER: PC
 
2. LECTURER BASIC INFORMATION
NAME: ALCÁNTARA GÁMEZ, JULIO MANUEL
DEPARTMENT: U102 - BIOLOGIA ANIMAL, BIOL.VEGETAL Y ECOLOGIA
FIELD OF STUDY: 220 - ECOLOGÍA
OFFICE NO.: B3 - 165 E-MAIL: jmalcan@ujaen.es P: 953212795
WEBSITE: http://www10.ujaen.es/conocenos/departamentos/bioani
LANGUAGE: - LEVEL: 3
 
3. CONTENT DESCRIPTION

1.- Introduction to the subject.

2.- Environmental impact assessment

3.- Evaluating the biotic components of the ecosystem.

4.- The physical environment: topography, climate, atmosphere, soil and water.

5.- Landscape quality and ecology.

6.- Basic statistical and modelling techniques.

PRACTICAL SESSIONS

Seminar 1. Introductin and organization of the practical sessions: objectives, study site and sampling methods.

Seminar 2. Identification of common plant species in the study site.

Field work in Sierra Sur de Jaén.

Computer session 1. Analysis of alpha diversity.

Computer session 2. Analysis of beta and gamma diversity.

Seminar 3.Results and conclusions of the biodiversity analyses .

Workshop 1. Preparing a biodiversity report using real field work data: Introduction and Methods.

Computer session 3. Analysis of alpha diversity.

Computer session 4. Analysis of beta and gamma diversity.

Workshop 2. Oral presentation of the results.

4. COURSE DESCRIPTION AND TEACHING METHODOLOGY

General classroom sessions (2.5 ECTS*).- Contents oriented to the general theoretical principles of the subject. All the supplementary materials used in these sessions (e.g. Power Point presentations and research articles) will be made available through the web page of the subject.

Other activities (1.5 ECTS). There will be two workshops (0.75 ECTS each) where the students will concentrate exclusively in conducting their study cases with the assistance of the teacher. This allows the possibility that students comment and discuss in common the problems and solutions they find while addressing the different steps of their work.

Practical sessions (2 ECTS) will consist in three hands-on seminars, one field work session and four computer sessions. Through these sessions the students will develop their own habitat suitability model and will deliver their results in written format and in an oral presentation.

Students with special educational needs should contact the Student Attention Service (Servicio de Atención y Ayudas al Estudiante) in order to receive the appropriate academic support

5. ASSESSMENT METHODOLOGY

The theoretical contents will be evaluated through a written exam, representing 70% of the global evaluation. The remaining 30% will depend on the quality of the outputs (written and oral) presented from the practical sessions.

6. BOOKLIST
MAIN BOOKLIST:
  • Handbook of ecological indicators for assessment of ecosystem health . Edition: -. Author: -. Publisher: Boca Raton : Taylor & Francis, 2010.  (Library)
  • Mapping Species Distributions: Spatial Inference and Prediction. Edition: -. Author: Franklin, J.. Publisher: Cambridge University Press  (Library)